By: Walter Metcalf
It appears that Lotus/IBM has reserved most of the changes and
improvements in the SmartSuite for OS/2 1.5 package for Lotus' oldest product, namely
1-2-3. In contrast with the components we
have looked at so far, WordPro and Organizer, which contained only minimal enhancements, 1-2-3 v1.5 has a
substantial number of new or enhanced features. In addition to these features, v1.5 has some
updated material dealing with a variety of issues.
This review will be largely limited to these new features, enhancements, and updated material.
- Some of the New Features are:
- New file format that supports 64 K rows
- Perform routine calculations without having to enter functions or calculations.
- 58+ new @functions
Examples of these functions are:
- @YEARFRAC - function for computing fraction of year from number of days;
- @BIN2HEX, etc. - set of functions to convert between binary, hex, octal,
and decimal numbers.
- Web tables
- Supports importing a table from an HTML document, retaining the table structure.
- Sheet copy/move
- Move/copy entire worksheets using either the mouse or menu commands.
- HTML file open/convert
- Support for Comma Separated Values (CSV) file format
- This very common format (aka Ascii-delimited) is now fully supported.
Additional information on the new features may be obtained from the online Help under the
"What's New" section.
- Some of the Internet Enhancements are new menu items:
- Choose File-Internet-Convert to Web pages to save a file to the Internet;
- Choose File-Internet-Get data from Web to open a file from the Internet;
- Choose File-Internet-Convert to Web pages to publish a range to the Internet
- Some of the Updated Material is:
- Additional changes to deal with Y2K issues;
- LotusScript has been upgraded to 4.0;
- Using the Euro; and
- Addition of the Microsoft Excel 97 Filter
Next week: Building Your Network, Part 2